Saturday, January 12, 2008

Move over AA Gill


Yes we have been rubbish at keeping the old blog topped up with regular doses of self indulgence, but we are both extremely lazy and make no apologies for this. A very valid excuse is also that since facebook came along we have even more to type in an average day, what with work, texting, emails, it's all very tedious sometimes and I'm sure I'm getting RSI. If I even tried to hold a pen I'd fail miserably like someone who just came out of a coma and can't control their muscles. All of that was a long winded way of saying 'sorry the blog has not been updated in 6 months'. If anyone is still checking the LE let alone interested in the drivel, I'll bloody well eat my hat.
Well, we're back and as because you all know what we're up to anyway thanks to facebook, we're taking a slightly different approach this time. It's all about food! I will be reviewing the Northwests finest eateries as and when I eat there (with some archives now and again.)

For those of you who know us we do consider ourselves 'foodies', a cringeworthy term I agree, but one without a worthy synonym all the same. The position a 'foodie' finds themselves is not an easy one. A paradox of a position, a feeling of superiority and unashamed snobbery conflicts with a constant anticipation and excitement before one eats that is rarely fully satiated - well, not in this country anyway.

The British hospitality industry ten years ago was to food what British 70's sitcoms were to diversity awareness. A takeaway coffee was chicory powder in a polystyrene cup. A posh restaurant was the local Italian that served pasta as a main course, potato wedges with the mains and parma ham with melon ON THE SAME PLATE took a lot of persuading. Things have improved greatly I am pleased to say in some parts of the country. Awareness of fresh, healthy and delicious food is at least around amongst some. Those same 'some' of which I include myself will not tolerate poor service, being ripped off and (pardon my appropriate language) shit food. Some call me fussy but we shouldn't put up with it. Britain is not known for it's culinary heritage/appreciation/awareness it is perhaps the most expensive country (except for Scandinavian ones) to eat out, it is not a regular everyday thing for us to do like it might be for Americans or Italians, so it has to be special and it has to be good. Poor establishments beware you will feel my wrath. I'm a compassionate person in most other areas of my life but I have no sympathy for poor restaurants (or cafes) that go out of business, it is is good sign that you good people of Britain know your food and vote with your feet.

There will always be complete dullards that think black pasta is exotic, that Nando's is their favourite restaurant, that TGI's do a bloody good plate of chicken wings and that more than one knife and fork per meal is beyond them. These people drive Fiestas, love the Trafford Centre, wear fleeces over going out clothes, shop in Next and watch dancing on ice. For everyone else I hope you enjoy my reviews.

posted by Adele

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, a delightful transition! I look forward to your reviews. I enjoy AA Gill's columns because of how terrifically nasty he can be, but it'd be refreshing to hear some positive stuff - I know Bif can polish the proverbial turd when it comes to describing meals (as long as someone does the M&S/Groove Armada saxaphone tune in the background...)

By the way, there's a pretty decent 50% discount offer at Yo Sushi if you print out their vouchers from:
http://www.yosushi.com/giveaway.php

Did it last night. Ten plates of uncooked goodness for the modest sum of £20!

Anonymous said...

TUT-TUT Adele, such sweeping statements about types of people. Maybe we're not as superior as you two even though we like good quality, fresh food well cooked, because we also shop at Next and like Dancing on Ice.